Just a quick post to share this recipe for mackerel pate.
This recipe contains quite a lot of (“good”) fats so it should be enjoyed in moderation in order to avoid having too much of a good thing.
The mackerel contains omega 3 (good for the cardiovascular system) and the avocado contains monounsaturated fat (shown to reduce cholesterol). Avocados also contain 60% more potassium than bananas. The butter contain butyric acid which may be helpful in gut inflammation.
Prep Time/Cook Time
About 30-40 mins prep and zero cooking time (although it needs a couple of hours in the fridge to form up).
- 350g mackerel fillets
- 450-500g frozen cauliflower (must be frozen cauliflower to give a smooth consistency to the pate)
- Juice of half a lemon and some lemon slices
- 50-60g organic butter
- 1/2 – 1 ripe avocado
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2lb loaf tin
- Non pvc cling film
- Food processor
- Steam or boil the frozen cauliflower until thoroughly cooked (mushy is ideal) and leave to cool
- Fry the mackerel for 5-6 minutes until cooked, remove the skin and then leave to cool
- Add all the ingredients into a food processor and blend thoroughly
- Line a loaf tin with non PVC cling film and place some lemon slices in the bottom (for decoration)
- Scoop the mixture out of the food processor and in to the tin and tap down with a spatula or back of a spoon in to the corners
- Fold the cling film over the top of the pate and again press down gently
- When the pate is cool place in the fridge for a couple of hours to “set”
- When the pate is ready, open the cling film, place an upside down pate over the loaf tin and turn everything upside down. The pate should slide out of the loaf tin and on to the plate. Peel off the cling film.